Can a High Protein Diet For Weight Loss be Effective?
A high protein for weight loss diet can have powerful effects. Protein is an essential macronutrient for the body to lose weight. A high protein diet will help increase your metabolism helping you to burn more calories. A high protein diet for weight loss can also help reduce your appetite and adjust several weight-regulating hormones.
Benefits of Eating More Protein
Changes Weight Regulating Hormones
As mentioned before, protein helps to regulate hormone levels associated with weight management. By replacing carbohydrates and fats with protein, you can reduce the hunger hormone and feel more satisfied. This is how protein helps you to lose weight. When you feel less hungry, you are more likely to eat fewer calories which will help you be in a calories deficit.
Boosts Metabolism and Burns More Calories
Digesting protein burns more calories than digesting fats and carbohydrates which then boosts the metabolism. This helps you to burn more calories around the clock, even while you are sleeping. This gives you a metabolic advantage over diets that are lower in protein.
There are several main components to reducing your appetite with protein. You can eat fewer calories naturally without having to count calories. This works as long as protein intake is kept high throughout the day. This can also help you cut out late-night cravings and avoid huge surges in calorie intake.
How Much Protein Should You Be Eating?
Typically when you lose fat, you also lose muscle mass. Eating enough protein helps your body to reduce muscle loss and keep the metabolic rate up. Strength training is another way to reduce muscle loss and increase your metabolism as you lose weight. So how much protein do you need in your diet exactly?
If you aim to intake 30% of your calories from protein each day, this will help you have enough protein in your diet to see results. You can also calculate your daily protein needs for weight loss by multiplying based on your body weight. A common recommendation is 0.7-1 gram of protein per pound. This is not a one size fits all estimate.
High Protein Snacks For Weight Loss
High protein snacks are an essential part of meeting your daily protein intake goal. Here are some high protein snacks for weight loss that will help keep you full between meals and reduce your hunger levels.
- Protein Smoothies. This can be a snack that helps you get in fruit, nutrients, and protein. Check out Truvy protein powder that you can easily throw into any smoothie recipe to help reach your protein goals.
- Protein Bars. This is a great option for on-the-go protein. Keeping a protein bar in your bag or your car can come in handy when you need a high-protein snack to avoid getting overly hungry.
- Greek Yogurt Parfait. Greek Yogurt has lots of protein and has lots of calcium which helps support your bone health. Mix in granola and berries for a delicious snack.
- Beef Jerky. This is another great on-the-go option to get your protein in. Multiple different types of meats are made into jerky, so you just need to find one that tastes good to you, preferably without lots of added sugars.
- Turkey Wraps. Take turkey, cheese, and lettuce to make a filling snack. It’s pretty much a wrap without the added carbs from the bread. You can use the turkey as the outside wrap and fill it with whatever veggies you want.
- Black Bean Salsa. Black beans are high in protein. Combine black beans with some corn, tomatoes, onion, lime juice, and other seasonings to make a mouth-watering snack.
To help create your personalized high-protein meal plan based on macros and healthy recipes check out the Truvy Fit app!
Trust Truvy Products
Now that you’ve learned about eating a high protein diet for weight loss and reducing your appetite through increased protein intake, you are ready to start making eating habit changes. Truvy offers products that can also help you along your weight loss journey and help you to meet your daily protein goals. Shop Truvy Products today to help you achieve your weight management goals!